[SEMINARI] [Seminar] Understanding extragalactic jets from theory and observations by Manel Perucho

Enric Marco Enric.Marco en uv.es
Mie Feb 11 15:26:35 CET 2009

Understanding extragalactic jets from theory and observations

Manel Perucho Pla

Departament d'Astronomia i Astrofísica, Universitat de València

Lloc:  Seminari del Departament d'Astronomia i Astrofísica

Dia:  Dijous 12 febrer 2009

Hora: 16:00

Resum

I will review some aspects of my three years of research in the
Max-Planck-Institut. These include modelling of extragalactic jets using
numerical codes, stability theory and VLBI observations. In particular,
I will report about a) results on evolution of components in the jet of
the radio-galaxy 3C111 from the point of view of relativistic
hydrodynamics, b) the observable effects of growing instabilities in
jets as shown by detailed analysis of VLBI images of the jet in the
quasar 0836+710, and c) I will present a new, fully parallelised, 3D
relativistic hydrodynamics numerical code, along with the first results
it has produced. These include the confirmation of the growth of
resonant Kelvin-Helmholtz modes in sheared relativistic flows that can
contribute to long term jet stabilization, as it was predicted from 2D
simulations and KH stability theory.

--
 Dr. Enric Marco