[SEMINARI] Wonders of Astrometry. Space and ground based astrometry for the next decade, Guillem Anglada-Escude

Enric Marco Enric.Marco en uv.es
Lun Sep 28 12:19:39 CEST 2009

Wonders of Astrometry. Space and ground based astrometry for the next decade

Guillem Anglada-Escude

Dept. of Terrestrial Magnetism/Carnegie Institution of Washington, NASA
Astrobiology Fellow

Seminari d'Astronomia i Astrofisica

Dimarts 29 setembre 2009

12:00

Resum

Astrometry is the branch of astronomy which measures the motion of
astronomical objects on the celestial sphere. I'll make a short
historical introduction to astrometry and describe the observables that
can be measured with the new generation of space astrometry missions in
the optical (Gaia and SIM) with special enphasis on extrasolar planet
detection capabilities around nearby stars. I'll also discuss the kind
of astrometric measurements that can be done from the ground and their
applications. I'll use as an example some of the projects in which I'm
involved in the context of the Carnegie Astrometric Planet Search.

--
 Dr. Enric Marco