[SEMINARI] Resolving the atmospheres of AGBs with IR-interferometry, Ivan Martí

Enric Marco Enric.Marco en uv.es
Lun Sep 6 14:30:28 CEST 2010

Resolving the atmospheres of AGBs with IR-interferometry

Dr. Ivan Martí-Vidal

Max Planck Institut für Radioastronomie, Bonn, Germany

Seminari del departament d'Astronomia i Astrofísica

Dijous 09 setembre 2010

12:00

Resum

Most of the stardust in the interstellar medium (ISM) comes from the
dense stellar winds of Assymptotic Giant Branch (AGB) stars. The
mechanism of this wind is not well understood yet. I will shortly
discuss on the existing models of AGB atmospheres and winds and the
problems of these models to explain the current spectroscopic and
interferometric (high spatial-resolution) observations. I will finally
report on new observations of a semi-regular AGB in the near-IR with the
AMBER detector at the Very Large Telescope Interferometer (VLTI). A
short technical description of this detector and the
calibration/reduction procedure will be presented. Our observations
cannot be explained with the current stellar models unless we use a mass
much lower than predicted by stellar evolution and/or assume an ad-hoc
warm molecular outer envelope. This would be the first
spectro-interferometric evidence of an extended molecular layer around a
semi-regular AGB star, and would be placed somewhere between the warm
photosphere and the base of the dust-driven stellar wind.

--
 Dr. Enric Marco