[SEMINARI] GRB 101225A: a stellar murder on Christmas Day, Miguel Angel Aloy]

Enric Marco Enric.Marco en uv.es
Mie Dic 14 18:15:08 CET 2011

Títol:GRB 101225A: a stellar murder on Christmas Day

Per:Miguel Ángel Aloy
De:Departament d'Astronomia i Astrofísica, Universitat de València

(Retransmisió de la seua xerrada des de l'IAC)

Seminari del departament d'Astronomia i Astrofísica
Dijous 15 desembre 2011
11:30

Resum
Long Gamma-Ray Bursts (GRBs) are the most dramatic examples of massive stellar deaths,
usually associated with supernovae (Woosley et al. 2006). They release ultra-relativistic
jets producing non-thermal emission through synchrotron radiation as they interact with the
 surrounding medium (Zhang et al. 2004). Here we report observations of the peculiar GRB 101225A
 (the 'Christmas burst'). Its gamma-ray emission was exceptionally long and followed by a bright X-ray
 transient with a hot thermal component and an unusual optical counterpart. During the first 10 days,
 the optical emission evolved as an expanding, cooling blackbody after which an additional component,
 consistent with a faint supernova, emerged. We determine its distance to 1.6 Gpc by fitting the
spectral-energy distribution and light curve of the optical emission with a GRB-supernova template.
 Deep optical observations may have revealed a faint, unresolved host galaxy. Our proposed progenitor
 is a helium star-neutron star merger that underwent a common envelope phase expelling its hydrogen envelope.
 The resulting explosion created a GRB-like jet which gets thermalized by interacting with the dense, previously
 ejected material and thus creating the observed black-body, until finally the emission from the supernova dominated.
 An alternative explanation is a minor body falling onto a neutron star in the Galaxy (Campana et al. 2011).

http://celeste.uv.es/daa/seminari.php?id=1047

--

Dr. Enric Marco

--