[SEMINARI] Charla Danilo Marchesini, Observatori Astron òmic

Enric Marco Enric.Marco en uv.es
Lun Nov 28 11:56:55 CET 2011

Miércoles 30-11-2011, 15:00
Sala de Seminarios Observatori Astronòmic

 "The Universe at z=2-4: New Insights into Galaxy Formation and Evolution"
Danilo Marchesini, Tufts University

In the past five years, our understanding of the galaxy population at
redshift 2<z<4 has improved significantly, thanks to the increasing
ability to construct comprehensive snapshots (in time) from z=4 (when
the universe was ~1.5 billion years old) to z=2 (when it was ~3.5
billion years old). As these 2 billion years of the cosmic history
represent a key epoch in the buildup and evolution of galaxies,
studies of the properties of galaxies at these redshifts provide
important clues on the physical processes at work during galaxy
formation and evolution. I will summarize our current knowledge of the
galaxy population at z=2-4, with an emphasis on the new results from
the NEWFIRM Medium-Band Survey, a large NOAO/Yale program which uses
medium band-width filters in the near-infrared to obtain well-sampled
spectral energy distributions and high-quality photometric redshifts
at z>1.5 over 0.5 square degree. I will conclude by outlining on-going
experiments/surveys which will take
our understanding of galaxy formation and evolution to the next level.