[SEMINARI] Recordatori [SEMINAR] SHARDS: a GTC Ultra-deep Spectro-photometric Survey of Distant Galaxies, Antonio Cava

Enric Marco Enric.Marco en uv.es
Mie Mayo 22 12:53:55 CEST 2013

Title: SHARDS: a GTC Ultra-deep Spectro-photometric Survey of Distant
Galaxies

by: Antonio Cava

From: Departamento de Astrofísica, Universidad Complutense de Madrid

Where: Seminari del departament d'Astronomia i Astrofísica

Date: Dimecres 22 maig 2013

15:00 h

Resum

In this talk I will introduce the SHARDS (Survey for High-z Absorption
Red & Dead Sources; Perez-Gonzalez P.G., Cava A., Barro G. et al.
2013) project, an unbiased ultra-deep spectro-photometric survey with
OSIRIS en GTC aimed at selecting and studying massive passively evolving
galaxies at z=1.0-2.3 using a set of 24 medium-band filters (FWHM ~17
nm) at 500-950 nm in GOODS-N. Our observing strategy is optimized to
detect at z>1 the prominent MgUV absorption feature at rest-frame ~280
nm, a distinctive, necessary, and sufficient feature of evolved
stellar populations. Nonetheless, the data quality allow a plethora of
studies on galaxy populations, including Emission Lines Galaxies
(ELGs) about which we have started one of our first science
verification projects.
The first analysis of ELGs in SHARDS, demonstrate the huge capability
of this survey in providing physical information for a large sample of
emitters, spanning from local H_alpha to high-z Lyman-alpha emitters.

--
Dr. Enric Marco