[Seminari] Carlos F. Sopuerta, Extreme-Mass-Ratio Inspirals: Cartography of the Geometry of Massive Black Holes

Enric Marco Enric.Marco en uv.es
Lun Nov 12 11:03:05 CET 2007

Extreme-Mass-Ratio Inspirals: Cartography of the Geometry of Massive
Black Holes

Carlos F. Sopuerta

CSIC-IEEC, Barcelona

Lloc:Seminari del departament d'Astronomia i Astrofísica

Dia:Dimecres, 14 novembre 2007

Hora:12:00

Resum

The inspiral, driven by gravitational radiation emission, of stellar-
mass compact objects captured by massive black holes at the galactic
centers are one of the main targets of the future ESA/NASA Laser
Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA) mission. Observations of these
systems will provide astrophysical information ranging from maps of
the geometry of massive black holes to stellar populations and
dynamics of galactic nuclei. In order to get this information we
need a precise a priori knowledge of the gravitational waveforms
produced by these inspirals. In this talk, apart from describing
this problem, I will discuss how numerical simulations can help in
this task, what are the main challenges they face, and what is the
present status.

--
---

/------------------------------------\