[SEMINARI] Cosmic-Ray driven dynamo in galactic disks, Michal Hanasz

Enric Marco Enric.Marco en uv.es
Dom Jun 20 20:20:17 CEST 2010

Cosmic-Ray driven dynamo in galactic disks

Michal Hanasz
Centre for Astronomy, Nicolaus Copernicus University,
Torun, Poland

Dia: Dimecres 23 juny 2010
Hora: 12:00
Lloc: Seminari d'Astronomia i Astrofísica

Abstract

I am going to present recent developments of local and global,
galactic-scale numerical models, of the Cosmic-Ray driven dynamo,
which was originally proposed by Parker (1992). We conduct global,
galactic-scale CR-MHD numerical simulations of the dynamics of
interstellar medium, composed of gas, magnetic-field, and cosmic-ray
components. We take into account cosmic rays, accelerated in randomly
distributed supernova remnants, and assume that supernovae deposit
small-scale, randomly oriented, dipolar magnetic-fields into the ISM.
 We find that,  the  magnetization of galactic disks by exploding
magnetized stars forms a favorable initial condition for the galactic
dynamo process. The amplification timescale of
the large-scale magnetic field, resulting from the CR-driven dynamo,
is comparable to the galactic rotation period. The process converts
efficiently small-scale magnetic fields of SN-remnants into the
galactic-scale magnetic fields. The resulting magnetic-field
structure resembles the observed X-shaped magnetic fields in edge-on
galaxies.

--
---

/------------------------------------\