Canvi de data [SEMINARI] Cosmic-Ray driven dynamo in galactic disks

Enric Marco Enric.Marco en uv.es
Mar Jun 22 11:23:35 CEST 2010

Title: Cosmic-Ray driven dynamo in galactic disks

By: Michal Hanasz

From: Centre for Astronomy, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Torun, Polònia

Seminari del departament d'Astronomia i Astrofísica

Dijous 24 juny 2010

12:00

Resum

I am going to present recent developments of local and global,
galactic-scale numerical models, of the Cosmic-Ray driven dynamo, which
was originally proposed by Parker (1992). We conduct global,
galactic-scale CR-MHD numerical simulations of the dynamics of
interstellar medium, composed of gas, magnetic-field, and cosmic-ray
components. We take into account cosmic rays, accelerated in randomly
distributed supernova remnants, and assume that supernovae deposit
small-scale, randomly oriented, dipolar magnetic-fields into the ISM. We
find that, the magnetization of galactic disks by exploding magnetized
stars forms a favorable initial condition for the galactic dynamo
process. The amplification timescale of the large-scale magnetic field,
resulting from the CR-driven dynamo, is comparable to the galactic
rotation period. The process converts efficiently small-scale magnetic
fields of SN-remnants into the galactic-scale magnetic fields. The
resulting magnetic-field structure resembles the observed X-shaped
magnetic fields in edge-on galaxies.

--
 Dr. Enric Marco